Auto accidents are all too common in Fruita and when they occur, victims are left with serious injuries. In the worst situations, victims do not survive the crash. Car accidents are caused by a variety of factors but the majority are preventable and are a result of one driver’s negligence. It is important to know what to do in the moments following a crash so you can protect any future claim you may file. It is also important to speak to a Fruita auto accident lawyer when you have been seriously injured, so you can recover the full damages you deserve.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Fruita
While any act of negligence, or carelessness, can result in an auto accident, there are some causes that are more commonly seen than others. The five most common causes of auto accidents in Fruita are as follows:
- Distracted driving: Thanks to the many awareness campaigns over the past few years, the dangers of texting and driving are well known. Unfortunately, this is not the only form of distracted driving that is dangerous. Eating, drinking, grooming, and even rowdy passengers can also cause drivers to become distracted.
- Impaired driving: Like distracted driving, the dangers of impaired driving are well known, but still too many people engage in this type of behavior. Impaired driving does not only include drunk driving, but also driving under the influence of legal and illegal drugs.
- Speeding: Speeding does not only increase the likelihood of a crash occurring, but it also increases the impact of the crash, which can result in even more serious injuries.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving can include following too closely, weaving in and out of lanes, and cutting off other drivers.
- Inexperienced drivers: Teenager drivers make up a disproportionately large number of auto accidents. Younger drivers do not have the same experience as other drivers and are more likely to drive while impaired, text and driver, or fail to wear a seat belt.
Regardless of the reason for an auto accident, it is critical that you know the steps to protect yourself afterward.
“I have had the pleasure of working with Mr. Martin on several occasions and have been extremely pleased with my experiences. He is professional, efficient and knowledgeable. He is truly an asset to have on your side when it comes to navigating the legal world.”Donald V.
“I have used Dan Shaffer as counsel for myself and my family for over 10 years. He always returns my calls and emails. He and his staff really seem to care about their work and clients. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his services to anyone with serious legal problems. ”JK - 2018
“Mr. Martin has been a huge help to me in navigating a wide range of legal issues in both my personal and professional life. His wide-ranging knowledge and exceptional legal expertise have made him an incredible resource, and his personal approach and sense of humor have made him a real friend.”Bryan M.
“My family sought Mr. Shaffer’s services for our daughter who was facing very serious charges. He was thoughtful and compassionate throughout her cases and helped us understand what was happening as every turn. I would strongly recommend his services to anyone with serious legal problems.”Traci C. - 2016
“I have been represented by Brent Martin on a number of matters. In each case, Brent’s work was timely, efficient and showed an excellent grasp on both the law and the facts at issue. He was available when I needed him and was very good at explaining the often complex issues involved. I highly recommend Brent and his firm.”Michael L.
“If you are looking for an attorney, Daniel Shaffer is excellent. He is not only highly effective and bright, but is also a thoughtful and caring individual. Dan’s legal expertise has helped me and my family immensely, and we couldn’t be more grateful. He and his team are wonderful to work with!”J and G H - 2017
Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Fruita
The steps you take in the moments, days, and weeks following an accident will help you prove your claim and recover the fair settlement you deserve. The most important steps include:
- Exchange information: You should exchange driver’s license numbers, insurance information, and contact information with all other drivers involved in the crash.
- Document the scene: Photos and video footage of the vehicles involved, your injuries, and other pertinent information, such as skid marks on the road, are all very important pieces of evidence.
- Call the police: Colorado law requires you to report any accident that results in injury, death, or property damage. Notifying the police of an accident will also make sure there is an accident report, which can indicate the other party’s negligence.
- Seek medical help: If you do not seek medical help after a crash, your injuries could become worse and the insurance company will likely argue you were not injured because you did not see a doctor.
Lastly, always call a Fruita auto accident lawyer that can help you file your claim and recover damages for your medical expenses, lost income, and more.
Call Our Auto Accident Lawyers in Fruita Today
If you have been hurt in an accident, our Fruita auto accident lawyers at Cimarron Ridge Legal Group can provide the sound legal advice you need. Call us today at (970) 644-5194 or contact us online to schedule a consultation so we can review your case.