After a car accident that was not your fault, it can be tempting to leave everything to the insurance company. You might exchange contact information with the other driver and trust that they will cover any damages you have suffered. Sadly, this is not always the case. Most insurance companies deny personal injury claims. Others may even shift the blame to you.
In this article, we answer the question, should I get a lawyer for a car accident that wasn’t my fault. If you have been injured in an auto accident in Colorado, contact Cimarron Ridge Legal Group to discuss your case with an expert Grand Junction Car Accident Lawyer.
Do You Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
Not every car accident case requires an attorney. If you’re involved in a minor fender bender with no property damage or bodily injury, you can handle the situation on your own. You might not even need to report the accident to the police in most states.
However, it is advisable to hire a car accident attorney if your accident results in injuries. This is because you will need medical treatment and might be forced to take time off work. Your attorney can work to ensure you are compensated for these and other associated damages.
You should also consult a lawyer in situations where:
- It is difficult to determine fault.
- The at-fault party is blaming you.
- You have incurred significant property damage.
- Someone else’s gross negligence caused your accident.
- The insurance company is offering less money than you believe you deserve
- You have no experience dealing with insurance companies.
What Happens If You Don’t Get an Attorney Involved?
Essentially, the decision to hire a lawyer rests solely on you. So do the consequences of failing to consult one where it is necessary. Here are some things that could happen if you fail to retain a lawyer for your car accident case:
- The insurance company could delay your injury claim.
- They could deny your claim.
- They could offer less settlement than you deserve
- The other party could wrongfully shift fault to you.
- You could be sued for the accident.
- You might be forced to pay for your medical bills out-of-pocket.
- Your insurance might have to cover other damages, such as lost income and property damage.
How Will a Car Accident Attorney Help Your Case?
Car accident attorneys are skilled in auto accident laws. They also have experience dealing with insurance companies, filing personal injury claims, and bringing a lawsuit against at-fault parties. If you decide to retain a car accident attorney, you can expect them to:
- Gather evidence for your case
- Collect witness statements
- Negotiate a settlement deal with the insurance company
- File a lawsuit, where necessary
Contact a Grand Junction Car Accident Lawyer Today
Insurance companies are not in the business of handing out settlements. They tend to deny or delay claims. If they do pay, they might offer less reimbursement than you deserve. A car accident attorney can protect your right to get compensation for your medical costs, property damage, and lost income.
Generally, the answer to the question ‘should I get a lawyer for a car accident that wasn’t my fault,’ is yes. A skilled attorney can protect you from false liability.